Re: C function accepting/returning cstring vs. text

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: C function accepting/returning cstring vs. text
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:49:46 -0300
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > > There are a lot of functions in contrib taking cstring input and
> > > returning cstring output.
> > > Are they just in the same "special" class of [type]in, [type]out
> > > [type]recv... functions?
>
> > Probably, but I didn't check.
>
> Does this nearly translate to:
> "nothing you should care about right now and anyway just functions
> that won't return results to SQL"?

I meant "they are almost certainly in the same class as typein and
typeout, but I didn't check every single one of them".

As far as I can tell you are not writing an output function, but
rather a debugging function of sorts.  I see no reason to return cstring.