Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Friday 22. January 2010 01.22.09 Tom Lane wrote:
> "Larry Rosenman" <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> > On Thu, January 21, 2010 5:53 pm, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> >> Care to shed some light on what features (yes, we users care about
> >> features) warrant this major version-bump? Is there a link somewhere?
>
> > AFAIR, it was stated if Hot Standby AND Streaming Replication hit the
> > tree, the release number would go to 9.0.
>
> Yeah.  The question of "when do we call it 9.0" has come up multiple
> times over the past few release cycles, and "when we get built-in
> replication" has always been one of the more popular answers.  If HS+SR
> aren't enough to justify a major version bump, I'm not sure what would be.
>
> The other bit of rationale for this is that HS+SR are likely to induce a
> certain amount of, um, instability.  Labeling the release with a dot-oh
> version number will help to set people's expectations about that.  For
> comparison's sake, one of the main reasons for calling 8.0 8.0 was the
> native Windows port, and it certainly took a while for that to settle
> down.

Thank you for the enlightening reply.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no>
Senior Software Developer / CTO

Tlf:    +47 24 15 38 90 |                                             |
Fax:    +47 24 15 38 91 |                                             |
Mobile: +47 909  56 963 |                                             |

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: Streaming Replication on win32
От: Leonardo F
Сообщение: Re: About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch