Re: data dump help

От Bret S. Lambert
Тема Re: data dump help
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 05:49:32PM -0600, Terry wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Terry <td3201@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How about a flag in the db, like: dumped.
> >>
> >> inside one transactions you'd be safe doing:
> >>
> >> begin
> >> SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL REPEATABLE READ;
> >> select * from log where dumped = 0;
> >> -- app code to format/write/etc
> >> update log set dumped = 1 where dumped = 0;
> >> commit;
> >>
> >> Even if other transactions insert new records, you're existing transaction
> >> wont see them, and the update wont touch them.
> >>
> >> -Andy
> >>

> > I like your thinking but I shouldn't add a new column to this
> > database. ?It's a 3rd party application.
> >

> Although.  I really like your idea so I might create another table
> where I will log whether the data has been dumped or not.  I just need
> to come up with a query to check this with the other table.

Isn't this just over-engineering? Why not let the database do
the work, and add the column with a default value of 0, so that
you don't have to modify whatever 3rd-party app dumps the data:

ALTER TABLE log ADD COLUMN dumped boolean DEFAULT FALSE

(I don't do much ALTER TABLE, so that syntax may be all foobar'ed)

- Bret