Re: Inserting 8MB bytea: just 25% of disk perf used?

От fkater@googlemail.com
Тема Re: Inserting 8MB bytea: just 25% of disk perf used?
Дата
Re: Inserting 8MB bytea: just 25% of disk perf used?  (Matthew Wakeling <matthew@flymine.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
Aidan Van Dyk:

> So, your SATA disk can do 43MB/s of sequential writes, but you're example
> is doing:
> 1) Sequential writes to WAL
> 2) Random writes to your index
> 3) Sequential writes to table heap
> 4) Sequential writes to table' toast heap
> 5) Any other OS-based FS overhead

Ok, I see. Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! Especially
writing to WAL may eat up 50% as I've learned now. So,
16MB/s x 2 would in fact be 32 MB/s, plus some extras...

However, does that mean: If I have a raw sequential
performance of 100%, I will get a binary write (like in my
example) which is about 33% as a general rule of thumb?

Just to mention:

* The system has two hard disks, the first for
  WinXP, the second purely for the postgres data.

* I was doing nothing else simultanously on the newly
  installed OS.

* The consumed time (50s, see my test case) were needed to
  99.9 % just by PGexecParam() function.

* No network connect to the postgres server (everything
  local).

* No complex sql command; just inserting 100x times using
  PGexecParam(), as a transaction.

* The binary data was marked as such in PGexecParam
  (Format = 1).

* What I meant by 43 MB/s "worst case": I downloaded
  some hd benchmarks which showed a performance of
  43-70 MB/s. (Whereas repetitions of my postgres test did
  never vary, but *constantly* performed at 16MB/s).

Hm.

Nevertheless: If your explanation covers all what can be
said about it then replacing the hard disk by a faster one
should increase the performance here (I'll try to check that
out).

Thanks again!

 Felix