Re: access computed field of RECORD variable

От Steve White
Тема Re: access computed field of RECORD variable
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Merlin,

There is a set of databases whose columns are differently named and
have different meanings, but which are processed similarly (the data
is all floats, and some dot products need to be made).
The processing to be done can all described by other tables which
provide coefficents based on the names of the fields in those columns.

Now, I have gone so far as to pass explicit query strings around, to make
a separate query for each field.  But the programming is awful compared
to the "cursors" approach, besides probabaly being quite inefficient.

One can also do an EXECUTE INTO but it has the same problem that the
type of the record is unknown (Well, it might be known at run time...
If I knew the type of the record at run time, could use that somehow?).

Another step would be to scrap the whole idea of named columns for these
databases, but that would be a pity, because it bought us so much in
other ways (e.g. tight association of the interpretation of the columns
with their data).  Besides, I already wrote code for all that!

Any ideas?