Re: pg_migrator issues

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_migrator issues
Дата
Re: pg_migrator issues  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Re: pg_migrator issues  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > 2)  Right now pg_migrator renames old tablespaces to .old, which fails
> > if the tablespaces are on mount points.  I have already received a
> > report of such a failure.
>
> I thought it was impossible to use bare mountpoints as tablespaces due
> to ownership problems ... Is that not the case?  -1 for special hacks
> that work around bogus setups, if that means intrusive changes to the
> core code.

I talked to the person who reported the problem and he and I confirmed
that it is quite easy to make the mount point be owned by the postgres
user and have that function as a tablespace.  Is that not a supported
setup?  There is probably a larger problem that the tablespace must be
located in a directory that has directory rename permission for
postgres.  I have updated the pg_migrator INSTALL file to mention this
issue.

As far as .old, we could create the tablespaces as *.new, but that kind
of defeats the existing recommended pg_migrator usage where we tell the
user to rename PGDATA to .old before running pg_migrator.

It was actually Tom's idea months ago to put a version-specific
directory in the tablespace.  I don't think it is necessary, and we can
live with the mount point limitation.

http://enterprisedb.com