Re: Save MySQL? HA

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Save MySQL? HA
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Chris Browne wrote:
> DCorbit@connx.com ("Dann Corbit") writes:
> > (Commercial use of MySQL without paying a license fee requires that
> > projects using the database are also GPL, IIRC).
>
> I know I've seen Monty say this sort of thing a lot of times, and his
> most recent rant
> (<http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-keep-internet-free.html>)
> underlines it with his mistaken belief.

I've heard that if you write a non-GPL program talking to a MySQL
database in, say, PHP, does not require the program itself being GPL,
only the PHP library that connects to MySQL.  It's the library that
"links" to MySQL, not your program, so your program is protected from
GPL's viral nature.

--
Alvaro Herrera