Re: Backup Postgre server

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Backup Postgre server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 03:19:17AM -0800, AnthonyV wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a pg8.3 server (an 8.4 upgrade is scheduled) on Windows.  I
> would like an other pg server in backup in case of hardware problem
> on my first server.
>
> I use read/write queries and I would like the second pg become
> master

This part can be done if you separate the read queries from the ones
that write and/or must be current as of the most recent commit on the
master.  Slony works for doing a manual failover.

> without any human intervention.

This part is generally a very bad idea.  What happens if there is a
bug in the crash detection system?  In broad generality, a sensor
attached directly to an actuator is a booby trap, and this case is no
exception.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!