Re: Syntax for partitioning

От Itagaki Takahiro
Тема Re: Syntax for partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Marko Tiikkaja <marko.tiikkaja@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Jaime Casanova wrote:
> >>      PARTITION name VALUES LESS THAN { range_upper | MAXVALUE }
> >>    | PARTITION name VALUES IN ( list_value [,...] | DEFAULT )
> >
> > i remember someone making a comment about actually using operators
> > instead of LESS THEN and family
>
> That doesn't sound like a bad idea..

I prefer to use widely-used syntax instead of postgres original one.
Oracle and MySQL already use "LESS THAN" and "IN" for partitioning.
I assume almost all user only use the default operators.
I don't want to break de facto standard for small utilization area.

I think truly what we want is a new partition "kind" in addition to
RANGE and LIST. If we want to split geometric data into paritions,
we need to treat the the partition key with gist-list operation.
I agree with a plan to add some additional parition kinds,
but want to keep RANGE and LIST partitions in the current syntax.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center