Re: passing parameters to multiple statements

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: passing parameters to multiple statements
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:16:36 -0800
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:33:05AM -0700, Konstantin Izmailov
> wrote:
> > Some companies have policy to stay DB agnostic, i.e. use standard
> > SQL only.

> That's called shooting yourself in the head.

I'm a small fish. I use just Free software and still I think that
departing from agnosticity has its cost even if you don't have to
pay license costs.
Especially if you did it without knowing it or with no reason.
Many times departing from agnostic code is caused by:
- lack of knowledge of standards/more than one DB
- early optimization

It's just a matter of where you're going to compromise and why, but
you've to do it consciously.

eg. a lot of code could run on mysql and postgresql as well at no
cost, but many people just ignore there is something else other than
mysql.
That's shooting yourself in the head without even knowing the reason.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it