Re: Best suiting OS

От Cédric Villemain
Тема Re: Best suiting OS
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Le jeudi 08 octobre 2009 15:40:53, Matthew Wakeling a écrit :
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> > Go for Debian:
> > * It is a free community, very active.
> > * It is guaranteed to be upgradable.
> > * Very easy to administrate via apt-get.
>
> http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20091007
>
> If you like Debian, but want to use FreeBSD, now you can have both.
>
> > Choose Debian SID or testing, which will provide the latest fixes.
>
> I disagree. If you want a stable server, choose Debian stable, which was
> last released in February. It gets all the relevant fixes, just like any
> other supported stable distribution - just no new major versions of
> software. The next stable release is scheduled for the new year.
>
> If you want the latest and greatest, then you can use Debian testing.

testing and sid are usually the same with a 15 days delay.

I strongly suggets to have a debian lenny and to backport newer packages if
really required (like postgres 8.4). Debian come with good tools to achieve
that (and there is debian-backport repository, sure)

--
Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données

Вложения