Re: Documentation Improvement suggestions

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: Documentation Improvement suggestions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:34:00 -0400
Robert James <srobertjames@gmail.com> wrote:

> Two small suggestions that might make it easier for newcomers to
> take advantage of the wonderful database:
> 1. Googling Postgres docs produces links for all different
> versions.  This is because incoming links are to different
> versions.  Besides being confusing, it pushes the pages lower in
> Google, and makes it harder to find them.
> Could the website offer a link to the 'current' version, whichever
> it is. Eg instead of just :
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/creating-cluster.html
> Have:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/creating-cluster.html
> which would keep all incoming links pointed to the current page.

Did you actually tried the link you proposed?
There is a page behind it... ant it actually links to 8.4 docs.
People still need old docs so you can't just make docs for previous
versions unavailable... and once they are available, they will be
indexed.
Unfortunately current version doesn't mean most used.

Actually what I'd enjoy is a link to the "interactive" version and
maybe aggregating all the comments of previous versions in
the new version (indicating from which versions they come from).

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it