Re: WIP patch for TODO Item: Add prompt escape to display the client and server versions

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: WIP patch for TODO Item: Add prompt escape to display the client and server versions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 07 May 2009 05:23:41 Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
> This is a WIP patch (for the TODO item in the subject) that I'm putting
> in the Commit Fest queue for 8.5.

The problem I'm seeing with this is that currently it resolves

%v (client) = 8.5devel
%V (server) = 8.5.0

Besides being inconsistent, it's also pretty misleading.  I'd imagine a
significant use of this feature would be to know that one is connected to,
say, a beta version.

More generally, does anyone actually need this feature?  psql complains loudly
enough if the version numbers are not the right ones.  I don't know why this
would need to be repeated in the prompt.