Re: Review remove {join,from}_collapse_limit, add enable_join_ordering

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Review remove {join,from}_collapse_limit, add enable_join_ordering
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 16 July 2009 17:27:39 Greg Stark wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > However, I do observe that this seems a sufficient counterexample
> > against the theory that we can just remove the collapse limits and let
> > GEQO save us on very complex queries.  On my machine, the example query
> > takes about 22 seconds to plan using CVS HEAD w/ all default settings.
> > If I set both collapse_limit variables to very high values (I used 999),
> > it takes ... um ... not sure; I gave up waiting after half an hour.
> What's the point of GEQO if it doesn't guarantee to produce the
> optimal plana and *also* doesn't guarantee to produce some plan, any
> plan, within some reasonable amount of time? Either we need to fix
> that or else I don't see what it's buying us over our regular planner
> which also might not produce a plan within a reasonable amount of time
> but at least if it does it'll be the right plan.
Well, I could not find a plan where it errored out with the old limits. So one
could argue its just not adapted.
Although I also could not find a single case where geqo was relevantly faster
with the default settings even if it was used.
The default settings currently make it relatively hard to trigger geqo at all.

Andres

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Review remove {join,from}_collapse_limit, add enable_join_ordering
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Review remove {join,from}_collapse_limit, add enable_join_ordering