Re: Request for features

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Request for features
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:00:04AM +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2009-07-13, Michael Gould <mgould@intermodalsoftwaresolutions.net> wrote:
> > I would like to know what the formal method of requesting new features are
> > for Postgres and how are decisions made which features are included in a
> > future release or not.
>
> Formal?
>
> for open soure software in general, changes are are requested using
> the bug reporting system.

Not in PostgreSQL, generally.

> Change requests accompanied with working source patches have an
> advantage.

Not always.  It's much better to discuss the design of the feature on
-hackers, come to some rough consensus, *then* write some code than to
come up with some huge wonk of code which no one is interested in
understanding and will languish.

> Grants of cash to the developers tend to help too.

There are several outfits that can help you organize your donations.
Software in the Public Interest, an non-profit company in the US, has
a way to earmark donations for the PostgreSQL project.

Other ways to contribute resources include hardware and/or people
available to the project.

Being a pleasant, helpful part of the community will incline everyone
else favorably toward setting your ideas at a higher priority, even if
some of them don't fly :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!