Alpha release process

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Alpha release process
Дата
Re: Alpha release process  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Alpha release process  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Re: Alpha release process  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
For those of you who weren't involved in the Ottawa developer meeting, I think
we should start by explaining that beginning with the 8.5 development cycle,
we are planning to make regular alpha releases, to make early testing easier
for more users.  This will happen at the end of every commit fest.  It will
mostly look like a beta release, except that it will be called alpha and will
at times perhaps not be as polished as a beta.  (Among other things, it will
also give as the opportunity to practice the release bundling procedures.)

I have written down the details of the alpha release preparation process based
on the meeting discussions at
<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Alpha_release_process>, reproduced here for
convenience:

"""
== Prerequisites ==
* Commit fest manager declares commit fest closed
* Build farm is green, or failures are adequately explained (if widespread
breakage, wait for a few days until fixed)

== Naming ==
* 8.5alpha1, 8.5alpha2, etc.

== Release preparation ==
src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES applies

Roughly:
* Release version number changes
* Release notes [Note: We'll have to work out exactly how to do this one as we
go.]
* Optional: Update timezone data
* Optional: Translation updates (probably not useful until the last or next to
last alpha)
* Tag in CVS
* Build the actual release tarball: make distcheck
* Ask -hackers to check the tarball for sanity
* Upload to ftp server [details?]

== Announcing ==
Announce to:
* PostgreSQL News
* pgsql-hackers
* pgsql-general(?)
* pgsql-packagers

For this one, we don't wait for the binaries to be built before announcing.
Just make sure that the source tarballs are in place before the announcements
go out.  This way take a day or three; doesn't really matter.

[[ReleasePrep]] contains notes about how to announce a release, which <em>do
not apply</em> in their entirety to the alpha process, but are still worth
digesting.
"""

Please discuss this now if you want changes.

I personally plan to put some time and effort into making this happen, but I'm
not sure who else will be involved.  In case the traditional release team is
not available, this would of course also provide opportunities for new people
to get involved.

Сообщение: Re: [RFC] obtaining the function call stack
Сообщение: Re: [RFC] obtaining the function call stack