Re: *_collapse_limit, geqo_threshold

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: *_collapse_limit, geqo_threshold
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:23:16PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> > The expontential factor seems smaller for real queries.  I have a query of
> > sixteen joins that takes 71s to plan deterministically; it looks like this:
>
> > SELECT 1 FROM fact JOIN dim0 ... JOIN dim6
> > JOIN t t0 ON fact.key = t.key AND t.x = MCV0
> > LEFT JOIN t t1 ON fact.key = t.key AND t.x = MCV1
> > JOIN t t2 ON fact.key = t.key AND t.x = MCV2
> > LEFT JOIN t t3 ON fact.key = t.key AND t.x = NON-MCV0
> > LEFT JOIN t t4 ON fact.key = t.key AND t.x = NON-MCV1
> > LEFT JOIN t t5 ON fact.key = t.key AND t.x = NON-MCV2
> > LEFT JOIN t t6 ON fact.key = t.key AND t.x = NON-MCV3
> > LEFT JOIN t t7 ON fact.key = t.key AND t.x = NON-MCV4
>
> I'm confused here --- I think you must have over-anonymized your query.
> Surely the ON conditions for the left joins should be referencing t3,
> t4, etc?

Yes.  Aside from that error, I picked the wrong features to emphasize and gloss
over.  Only two relations (amidst `dim0 ... dim6') resemble dimensions, having
an implied relative position on the plan tree.  The other fourteen relations
share a join key.  That explains the distinctive plan cost; this query resembles
the utterly unconstrained artificial query to a larger degree than most.

> > For the real query, removing one join drops plan time to 26s, and
> > removing two drops the time to 11s.  I don't have a good theory for
> > the multiplier changing from 4 for the trivial demonstration to ~2.5
> > for this real query.
>
> The rule of thumb that says that an n-way join requires 2^n work is only
> true if we consider every single combination of possible joins, which
> normally we don't.  The planner prefers join paths that follow join
> clauses, and will only consider clauseless joins when it has no other
> choice.  I believe that real queries tend to be pretty non-flat in this
> space and so the number of join paths to consider is a lot less than 2^n.
> Your synthesized query, on the other hand, allows any relation to be
> joined to any other --- it might not look that way, but after creating
> derived equalities there will be a potential join clause linking every
> relation to every other one.  So I think you were testing the worst case,
> and I'm not surprised that more-typical queries would show a slower
> growth curve.

Describing in those terms illuminates much.  While the concepts do suggest 2^N
worst-case planning cost, my artificial test case showed a rigid 4^N pattern;
what could explain that?

Thanks,
nm

Сообщение: Re: *_collapse_limit, geqo_threshold
Сообщение: Re: *_collapse_limit, geqo_threshold