Re: PostgreSQL and Poker

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: PostgreSQL and Poker
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL and Poker
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 19:39:16 +0200
"Massa, Harald Armin" <chef@ghum.de> wrote:

> a quite interesting read.
>
> http://www.codingthewheel.com/archives/stranger-than-fiction-story-online-poker-tracker-postgresql

There are a couple of comments comment that maybe someone could
correct:

"The popularity of PostgreSQL as DBMS for handhistories is by no
means just a matter of some alleged technological superiority over
MySQL. Let's not forget that Pokertracker, Holdem Manager etc is
proprietary software, so they really don't have any other choice but
to bundle with postgreSQL. If they were to ship their products with
MySQL, they would either have to open-source their products
according to the GPL, or pay hefty commercial license fees."

or

"Bogdan's comment is right on the money. There are licensing issues
with MySQL. MySQL commercial licenses are contracts with Sun. Not
cheap. It had to be PostgreSQL."

I understand the license differences (and for my taste I prefer GPL
over BSD) but the above affirmations seems to imply pg couldn't
stand up just on its technical merits.

I don't think this is the case.

Someone more knowledgeable about licenses and with a better English
than mine should correct the comments.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Сообщение: Re: Checkpoint Tuning Question
Сообщение: Re: Checkpoint Tuning Question