Re: Upgrade

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a somewhat 'hairy' problem in my hands...
>
> One of my servers is still Fedora Core (cough) (cough) 6 :]
> It's running Postgresql 8.2.4
>
> I want it to serve as a last resort, end of the spectrum, backup/slave
> for another server running Postgresql 8.2.9 via Slony-I.
>
> The other server is running Postgresql 8.2.9 over Fedora Core 8.
>
> First challenge: I need to upgrade to postgresql 8.3 if I'm to use
> Slony-I 2.0.2 on both servers.
>
> At a glance I feel that upgrading the FC6 server is the hairiest of
> tasks to be accomplished.
> Regarding the FC8 (a.k.a. master wannabe): would an upgrade from 8.2.9
> to 8.3 require a dump/reload ?
> The DB size on this server is not that big (~6GB), although a single
> table has >8.3M rows, meaning that if a dump/reload is involved I'm
> looking at several hours of out of service (sweat)...
>
> Insight on how to tackle the upgrade for these two servers (especially
> the FC6 one) would be much appreciated! ;-)

Why don't you set up Slony to replicate data between the two, then you
can take the slave offline to upgrade it to PG 8.3, then switch the
slave to be the master, then upgrade the other.

We just did that with 4 DB servers (all replicas of the same DB) a few
weeks ago and it went fine.  It was a 5G database and half of the servers
were replicating across the country.

We're looking at the upgrade to Slony 2 as a separate step.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com