Re: Disaster recovery (server died)

От Uwe C. Schroeder
Тема Re: Disaster recovery (server died)
Дата
Re: Disaster recovery (server died)  (Madison Kelly <linux@alteeve.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 19 June 2009, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Miguel
>
> Miranda<miguel.mirandag@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, i just didnt explain in detail, what i have is just the 16897
> > directory where i was storing the database, i tried just copying the
> > files but it didnt work,
> > should it be posible to import this database is any way?
>
> Nope, you need the whole data directory.

What I don't get is this: you said your CPU died. For me that's the processor
or maybe some interpret that as the main board.
So why don't you grab the harddisk from that server and plug it into the new
one? Maybe something might be corrupt due to the failure, but most of the
data should be on the disk (unless you use disks which lie about fsync).
Yep - another reason why one has at least a daily backup (in my case 2
replicas for every production server I run. I never had a major failure in
over 15 years - knock on wood - but if that happens I don't lose a heck of a
lot due to the backups and slony replicas)

Uwe