Re: used for large media files

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: used for large media files
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Greetings. I am in the process of deciding my infrastruture for a web
> based application dealing with audio, video and image files. In my
> discussions with web developers PostgreSql came up as a candidate for my
> database. This is my FIRST introduction to this database, although I've
> heard of it - I have no knowledge of using it.
>
> What I am attempting to build is a database driven web site that allows
> users to easily upload either audio, video or images of any type -
> categorize the files, then output the files via streaming. I would like
> the users to be able to voice annotate images and build presentations.
>
> Would PostgreSQL be a good database for this type of application? Database
> size could grow large very quickly.

Yes.  PostgreSQL will handle this application swimmingly.

In addition to everything else you'd want in a database, PG has a large
object API that allows you to store very large data streams such that
you can easily access individual parts of the stream (i.e., you can
start accessing a video stream at any point in the stream without having
to read through everything before that)
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/largeobjects.html

--
Bill Moran