Re: Should mdxxx functions(e.g. mdread, mdwrite, mdsync etc) PANIC instead of ERROR when I/O failed?

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Should mdxxx functions(e.g. mdread, mdwrite, mdsync etc) PANIC instead of ERROR when I/O failed?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 04:41:42PM +0800, Jacky Leng wrote:
>   My question is: should not mdxxx functions(e.g. mdread, mdwrite, mdsync)
> just report PANIC instead of ERROR when I/O failed? IMO, since the data has
> already corrupted, reporting ERROR will just leave us a very curious scene
> later -- which does more harm that benefit.

I think the reasoning is that if those functions reported a PANIC the
chance you could recover your data is zero, because you need the
database system to read the other (good) data.

With an ERROR you can investigate the problem and save what can de
saved...

Have a nice day,