Re: column name gets substitudes inside an execute statement of a trigger function. how to avoid it?!

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: column name gets substitudes inside an execute statement of a trigger function. how to avoid it?!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, G. Allegri wrote:

> Hello list.
> I'm a newbie with plpgsql, so I'm sorry for doing stupid questions...
> I have a situation whit one table where items are related to two other
> tables through a common id (unique in the first table) and the table
> name. Whenever the user execute an operation on an item of the first
> one ("prima"), the related items in tables "seconda" or "terza" must
> be updated.
>
> CREATE TABLE prima
> (
>   id serial NOT NULL,
>   nome character varying(100),
>   table character varying(10), ## this contains "seconda" or "terza"
>   CONSTRAINT prima_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
> )
>
> CREATE TABLE seconda
> (
>   id serial NOT NULL,
>   nome character varying(100),
>   CONSTRAINT seconda_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
> )
>
> CREATE TABLE seconda
> (
>   id serial NOT NULL,
>   nome character varying(100),
>   CONSTRAINT seconda_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
> )
>

> So I need to retrieve the table name dynamically inside the function,
> and AFAIK I can do it only using an execute statement. BUT when I do
> something like "INSERT INTO prima (nome,table) VALUES
> ('lets_try','seconda')"  I get the following error:
>
> ERROR: Column 'lets_try' does not exist
> LINE 1: INSERT INTO seconda (nome) VALUES ('lets_try')

Are you sure that's the error message (specifically the context)?
Specifically, the query below in the function looks like it would
generate:

INSERT INTO seconda (name) VALUES ("lets_try")

which means use lets_try as a quoted column name, as opposed to
('lets_try') which means the string literal.

In addition, what are the semantics of update supposed to be? It looks
like if you update a row in prima, it's going to set all the name fields
to the new name? Is that intentional, or was the intent to change only the
row with the old name?