Re: Schema, database, or tables in different folders?

От Alan Hodgson
Тема Re: Schema, database, or tables in different folders?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 02 June 2009, "Carlos Oliva" <CarlosO@pbsinet.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to create a database or a table of a database in its own
> folder?  We are looking for ways to backup the sytem files of the
> database to tape and one to exclude some tables from this backup.  We
> can selectively backup folders of the file system so we figure that if
> we can create a schema or database or table in its own folder, we can
> backup our database and exclude the tables selectively.  We are using
> Linux RedHat.  Thank you.

You can put them in their own tablespace, but backing them up would not be
useful. Filesystem backups of the cluster must include the whole database
to be useful (and see the documentation on PITR for how to do it right).

You can easily back up single databases with pg_dump, though.

--
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a
man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.