Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Thank you for the link to the document.  It provides  a wealth of
> information that re-inforces your stements.  It is still somewhat unclear to
> me what it is that would change in the database for tables that are never
> updated (not inserts, updates, or deltes) after a certain point in time.
> That is, if a table is unchanged after a week, what in the database would
> change for the table later on?  We have some tables that we will use as a
> type of archive into which we woudl just insert some data for about a week
> or so and that will never again be updated.

Your question is ambiguous, thus it's difficult to answer.  What do you mean
by "change"?  At what level are you looking a things?

If you're talking about doing a pg_dump, then nothing changes.  If you don't
update/delete from that table, then it's going to be the same table every
time you pg_dump it.

If you're talking about doing a filesystem-level backp, then I wouldn't
assume anything.  Depending on various maintenance schedules, a vacuum
or reindex could change the files around (although the data doesn't
change).

Hope that clarifies.