Re: Managing multiple branches in git

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [090602 20:18]:
> Yeah, I thought about building out of tree, with a different build tree
> for each branch and VPATH pointing at the common source tree (working
> copy).  That would probably work if it weren't that switching to branch
> B and then back to branch A has to advance the filesystem timestamps on
> every file that's different between the two branches.  So it would
> defeat whatever intelligence "make" might have.  Even if ccache is not
> fooled, that's only a very partial solution.

Yes, the linux kernel relies on the build system (for them its the
kbulid makefile setup) having complete knowledge of all dependencies.
So if you switch branches, "make" knows exactly what files *need* to be
rebuilt, based on complete dependencies (including config) and which
ones don't.

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,