Re: Managing multiple branches in git

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund wrote:

>> What *really* bugs me is that it's so difficult to have one "pulled"
>> tree and create a bunch of checked out copies from that.
> I dont see were the difficulty resides?
>
> #Setup a base repository
> cd /../master
> git [--bare] clone git://git.postgresql.org/whatever .

This is all quite ugly in fact.  What I want is something like this:

# the * below means "pull all branches"
mtn -d /home/repos/postgresql.mtn pull *
cd /home/trees
mkdir REL8_3_STABLE
cd REL8_3_STABLE
mtn checkout -d /home/repos/postgresql.mtn -b REL8_3_STABLE
cd ..
mkdir REL8_2_STABLE
cd REL8_2_STABLE
mtn checkout -d /home/repos/postgresql.mtn -b REL8_2_STABLE

and so on.  The "database" I pull into is common to all the branches,
/home/repos/postgresql.mtn; into that database I commit; and from there
I can push to the project's main database.  Whenever I do "mtn update",
it brings changes from the database (previously pulled into it) into the
working copy.

But this is all wishful thinking ('cause worse is better), so never mind
me.