Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> > It's certainly the case that there is a lot more work to do before
> > pg_migrator could support everything that we reasonably want to be
> > able to do in a version update. ?As I see it, the reason it's getting
> > revived now is that 8.3->8.4 happens to be an update where most of what
> > it can't (yet) do isn't necessary. ?That means we can get it out there,
> > get the bugs out of the functionality it does have, and most importantly
> > try to set an expectation that future updates will also have some degree
> > of update-in-place capability. ?If we wait till it's perfect then
> > nothing will ever happen at all in this space.
>
> I agree.  I remain doubtful that dumping and reloading the schema is
> the best way to go, but it's certainly a worthwhile experiment,
> because (a) I might easily be wrong and (b) we'll hopefully learn some
> things that will be useful going forward.

The amount of work to do an upgrade without dump/reloading the schema is
overly complex and would have to be adjusted for every major release,
with the high likelihood it would not be done or fail in random ways.

http://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type
Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type