Re: Code tables, conditional foreign keys?

От Benjamin Smith
Тема Re: Code tables, conditional foreign keys?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"A deep unwavering belief is a sure sign that you're missing something."
                                                            -- Unknown

I had no intention of sparking an ideological discussion.

I read Joe's article reference previously - a simple case for using a normalized database. I would pretty much agree with his assessment from beginning to end. However, he really doesn't address my scenario at all. I'm not trying to mash my database together into a single table, I'm trying to deal with the fact that we have hundreds of tables with nearly identical syntax, but further, deal with the concept of "code tables".

See our product has to work in many venues, and each venue has their own set of code-table data that they'd like to support. Worse, they often use similar values for the different things, so the "natural key" is just not natural. Sometimes I've seen venues "re-using" the old code table value from previous years to mean new things in current/future years. Yes, this is a bad, bad, bad idea but it was still there and it's still my job to deal with it.

Surrogate keys are used to make sure that 15 to mean "BS College Degree" in venue A aren't confused with 15 to mean "No High School Education" in another venue. They cover a similar value, EG: applicant's educational level. Some values don't translate at all, (EG: differing representations of vocational arts) so using our own code table set and then translating doesn't work consistently, either.

So we have multiple, distinct sets of data to be used within a single field. Either that, or we create massive data tables with every possible different set of otherwise similar data, each of which has a foreign key to a table with a slightly different name, which is, far and away, even uglier. (EG: applicants.ca_edlevel, applicants.or_edlevel applicants.nv_edlevel, applicants.southca_edlevel...)

educational level is one example, there are hundreds that we have to deal with!

So.... back to the first question: is there a way to have a conditional foreign key?