Re: Putting many related fields as an array

От Sam Mason
Тема Re: Putting many related fields as an array
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 01:23:14PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> | sum of count | sum_of_count_squared | qty | qty < 100 | qty < 500 |
>

> I'm thinking of lumping them into 1 column via an array instead of into
> 5 different columns. Not sure how to go about this, hence the email to
> the list.

The normal array constructor should work:

  SELECT ARRAY[MIN(v),MAX(v),AVG(v),STDEV(v)]
  FROM (VALUES (1),(3),(4)) x(v);

Not sure why this is better than using separate columns though.  Maybe a
new datatype and a custom aggregate would be easier to work with?

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/