Re: WAL dump tool

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: WAL dump tool
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Saturday 09 May 2009 00:20:43 Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM, higepon <higepon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> > Is the following todo item still necessary?
> >
> >  Create dump tool for write-ahead logs for use in determining
> > transaction id for point-in-time recovery.
> >    This is useful for checking PITR recovery.
> >
> > If so, I want to make it.
> > What is the expected output of the dump tool?
> > TransactionId, TimeLineID and ?
>
> don't know if this project ever works
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer but seems like is a start (it
> was made for 8.2 so you will have to adjust for 8.3 or even better
> 8.4)

It did work at one point. We used it for some disaster recovery work maybe a
year or so ago. We had to update it for 8.3, and remove some linuxisms to get
it to compile for Solaris. I think it might have still had issues actually
dumping data, but it did do a good job at finding corrupted xlogs.  istr Theo
submitted a patch, but I think the author had abandoned it. Personally I'd
love to see it moved into postgresql proper (and get the cleaning/updating
that implies).

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net