Re: a question about postgresql server connection

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: a question about postgresql server connection
Дата
Re: a question about postgresql server connection  (SongDongyan <yzhskdls@hotmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 15 April 2009 5:30:29 am SongDongyan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed postgresql and when I typed ./createdb mydb, it gave error
> message:
>********************************************** createdb: could not connect
> to database postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or
> directory Is the server running locally and accepting
>     connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> Then I checked /etc/init.d file, and I got postgresql-8.3 in this
> directory, then I used $ sudo ./postgresql-8.3 start, which gave error
> message:
>* LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
>
> HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a
> few seconds and
>
> retry\.
>
> FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
> denied
>
> But before it, I have already add an line below the IPv4 connection, which
> looks like: # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
> host    all         all         130.238.209.11/1      trust
>
> I got my IP address from ifconfig. After that, I really do not know what
> should I do next step. I really appreciate any help, thank you in advance!

First are you trying to connect to a local server or a remote server?
Second what is listen_addresses in postgresql.conf set to?

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net