Re: Documentation Update: Document pg_start_backup checkpoint behavior

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Documentation Update: Document pg_start_backup checkpoint behavior
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> >> +         ereport(NOTICE,
> >> +                 (errmsg("performing checkpoint")));
>
> > You've *got* to be kidding.
>
> Sigh.  I have to apologize for that over-hasty complaint: I misread
> where you intended to put the message.  (Seems like there is too
> much stuff in xlog.c that executes in too many different contexts.
> Maybe we could split it up sometime.)
>
> Still, I don't much like this solution.  I agree with Heikki:
> let's just fix it.

Agreed, fixing it is better than trying to document/report odd behavior.

There was talk about making pg_start_backup do an immediate checkpoint
but there was some discussion that you wouldn't want an I/O storm from
pg_start_backup().  However, figuring you are going to do the tar backup
anyway, the pg_start_backup I/O seems trivial.

http://enterprisedb.com