Re: reducing IO and memory usage: sending the content of a table to multiple files

От Sam Mason
Тема Re: reducing IO and memory usage: sending the content of a table to multiple files
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:20:02AM +0200, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> This is the work-flow I've in mind:
>
> 1a) take out *all* data from a table in chunks (M record for each
> file, one big file?) (\copy??, from inside a scripting language?)

What about using cursors here?

> 2a) process each file with awk to produce N files very similar each
> other (substantially turn them into very simple xml)
> 3a) gzip them

GZIP uses significant CPU time; there are various lighter weight schemes
available that may be better depending on where this data is going.

> 2b) use any scripting language to process and gzip them avoiding a
> bit of disk IO

What disk IO are you trying to save and why?

> Does PostgreSQL offer me any contrib, module, technique... to save
> some IO (and maybe disk space for temporary results?).
>
> Are there any memory usage implication if I'm doing a:
> pg_query("select a,b,c from verylargetable; --no where clause");
> vs.
> the \copy equivalent
> any way to avoid them?

As far as I understand it will get all the data from the database into
memory first and then your code gets a chance.  For large datasets this
obviously doesn't work well.  CURSORs are you friend here.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] string_to_array with empty input
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] string_to_array with empty input