Re: psql \d* and system objects

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: psql \d* and system objects
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat wrote:
> Actually I find the inconsistency to hurt usability, which is typically what
> you get with inconsistent interfaces.
>
> I'm not certain, but I think I would be happier if we did:
>
> \d*    user space objects
> \d*S  include system objects
>
> For those that want system only, do
> \d*S  pg_catalog.
> ( if you want to argue temp/toast, adjust the search accordingly)
>
> I think the trick to getting this working is to enforce this with search
> patterns *and* tab completion as well. Yes, this means that Tom's desire for

I talked to Robert on IM and found two new reasons to make 'S' assumed
if a pattern is supplied.  The first is the use of tab completion:
test=> \df si<tab><tab>sign            similar_escape  sintest=> \df sin                   List of functions Schema |
Name| Result data type | Argument data types--------+------+------------------+---------------------(0 rows)

As you can see tab-tab assumes system tables are visible, but current CVS
does not without 'S'.  The second case is:
test=> \df pg_catalog.sin                   List of functions Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data

Only \dfS works in this case.

I think we should move forward and assume 'S' for \d* patterns;  it is
inconsistent, but usability requires it.

Objections?

http://enterprisedb.com