Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> >> I think his reply states that. The long and short is, what Tom was
> >> concerned about is true and Heikki has confirmed it. This patch as nice
> >> as it would be to have, isn't ready for prime time. It is time to push
> >> this patch to 8.5, close up the rest of whatever is left with other
> >> patches and move to Beta.
> >
> > The decision on whether it is ready lies with Heikki, and whilst he is
> > prepared to work on it, and there are other patches still in the queue
> > being worked on by other committers there is no reason to bump it yet
> > (unless Heikki wants to look at the other patches).
>
> Well, this is a key point.  If Heikki thinks that the patch isn't
> going to be ready for 8.4 (and it sounds like that's the case), then
> it would be more beneficial to the project for him to lay it aside for
> a few weeks and help clean out the rest of the patch queue rather than
> continuing to work on that patch and leaving the other patches to the
> other committers.  Our rate of progress on cleaning out the November
> CommitFest seems to be asymptotically approaching zero (9 patches
> committed in December, 6 in January, 4 so far in February...) so
> benching one of the main committers for a feature that won't be ready
> anyway is not a good trade-off.

Agreed, we could use Heikki's help in closing the other outstanding
patches, and if hot standby isn't going to make 8.4, which I agree with,
it would be good for him to put hot standby aside and help on other
patches.

http://enterprisedb.com