Re: Debugging custom type libraries

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Debugging custom type libraries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 06:05:43PM +0000, Will Harrower wrote:
> I'm writing a custom type, with the associated functions (type_in,
> type_out, etc) written in C, in an external shared library that Postgres
> loads at runtime. I was wondering what the best way of debugging these
> functions is... I can start postgres through gdb, but can't figure out
> how to debug the dynamically loaded functions, or break when they are
> executed. I've done my best to find the answer, but have unfortunately
> failed.

First step, you must connect with psql and then attach gdb to the
running process (there's a function to get the pid of your backend).
Next, you can use "LOAD foo" in psql to trigger the loading of your
module, gdb should then be able to see it (assuming you have debug
symbols everywhere).

Setting breakpoints should then be easy.

Have a nice day,

Вложения