Re: vacuumdb --freeze

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: vacuumdb --freeze
Дата
Re: vacuumdb --freeze
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I would like to add a --freeze parameter to vacuumdb for use by the
> > binary upgrade utility, and for symmetry with the existing VACUUM
> > options;  patch attached.
>
> Exactly what do you think the upgrade utility is going to do with it?
> Surely not a database-wide VACUUM FREEZE, if we are hoping that upgrade
> is going to be fast.
>
> As far as I can see this is a solution looking for a problem.

I didn't go into the use-case.  The way pg_migrator works is to copy the
_schema_ from the old database and load it into the new database.  We
then need to run vacuum freeze on the schema-only databases because we
then move pg_clog from the old database to the new one; so, it is
needed, and it will not take long to run.

http://enterprisedb.com