Re: Questions about parsing boolean and casting to anyelement

От ITAGAKI Takahiro
Тема Re: Questions about parsing boolean and casting to anyelement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> >   - Are there any limitations in casting to anyelement?
>
> It's a no-op ... probably we shouldn't even let you do it, if the
> lack of an error leaves room for such misinterpretation as this.
> anyelement and friends are placeholders for use in function
> declarations, not real types that it makes sense to cast to.

I hope anyelement could be used in cast because casts are supported by
almost programming languages where template or generics are available.
Moreover, we can cast to anyelement if we use C functions; using oid of
anyelement in runtime and querying an associated cast function from
system catalog.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro