Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security

От David Fetter
Тема Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 02:29:39PM +0200, BogDan Vatra wrote:
> [..]
> >> A message for postgresql decision board:
> >>
> >> Dear postgresql hackers, if I can do something to push row level
> >> acl for 8.4 please tell me, I do anything to have this feature,
> >> it will help me, and I hope many others, this feature will help
> >> to develop client to postgres applications without a server
> >> application or tones of triggers and viewers.
> >
> > I can understand your pains and you want the row-level security
> > stuffs to be merged within the vanilla v8.4. However, I would like
> > you to understand we don't have infinite time to review proposed
> > features for the upcoming v8.4.
>
> I don't want to be to selfish , but AFAIK postgresql is already
> delayed (according to PostgreSQL_8.4_Development_Plan page
> "http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Development_Plan"
> beta1 should be out on 1st January 2009), so, what's matter another
> 2-3 weeks of delay?  Or, maybe, I'm the only one who consider this a
> *must to have* feature.

You probably aren't the *only* one, but row-level ACL has unsolved
math problems in it, which means it's a no go for 8.4.

Any resources you could commit to getting those problems solved for
8.5 would be awesome, but no amount of whining for a back-port will
help you or the project, and frankly, resources committed to a
back-port will pretty much stall any attempt to get it into 8.5.

What kinds of resources can you dedicate to the solvable problems, and
when can you start mobilizing them?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!