Re: pg_upgrade project status

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade project status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Now that pg_migrator is BSD licensed, and already in C, I am going to
> > spend my time trying to improve pg_migrator for 8.4:
> >
> >     http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pg-migrator/
>
> What is the plan now?  Get pg_upgrade working, get pg_migrator working,
> ship pg_migrator in core or separately?  Is there any essential
> functionality that we need to get into the server code before release?
> Should we try to get dropped columns working?  It's quite late to be
> wondering about this, so unless we get a clear and definite plan this
> week, I say we stop kidding ourselves and drop it.

Oh, a plan?  ;-)

Basically I am trying to add functionality to the code and clean it up
so it is easier to maintain.  You can grab the CVS to see my current
version:
http://pgfoundry.org/scm/?group_id=1000235

Everyone seemed to prefer a migration utility in C, and pg_migrator is
in C so I am working on that.  It has a BSD license now so we could
include it if we wanted to.

I am working on pg_migrator TODO items.  My current list is:
o  Makefiles are not yet complete.o  need to check crc when we reading the pg_control fileo  compare the pg_controls of
oldand new serverso  fix loaded tables with dropped columns;  the dropped column location   is not   part of pg_dump;
pg_attribute.attisdroppedmust be checked and a   replacement   table created and the column droppedo  must call vacuum
freezeon system tables before clog is copiedo  restore pg_database.datfrozenxid to their original valueso  restore
pg_class.relfrozenxidto their original values

I am not sure about the first two items, but I want to try to address
the other ones, though I am not sure how to handle the drop column case.

Once I am complete the existing TODOs I will start on testing and
getting more feedback on missing features.

If folks want to help out, please let me know.

I am not aware of any server changes needed for 8.3-8.4 migration.

http://enterprisedb.com