Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump
Дата
Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:31:23PM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> Considering that the entire project ships with a BSD license, which
> very specifically allows use of all or any tiniest part of it with
> (skipping some legalese) two restrictions: mention PGDG in the
> copyright list, and don't sue us no matter what happens, any
> "Postgresql-specific license exceptions" are equivalent to "that
> algorithm is no longer proprietary" because any project could simply
> use PostgreSQL's version and have done.

Why don't we just add an option to pg_dump --use-compress-program, just
like tar and then people can use their "compression algorithm of the
week" and we don't need to care about the licence or anything.

It's not like the case of TOAST where it actually needs to be builtin.
Tar doesn't have any compression builtin, yet you don't see many
uncompressed tar files...

Have a nice day,

Сообщение: Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump
Сообщение: Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump