Re: 8.4 release planning

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 8.4 release planning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat wrote:
> > We are going to have exactly
> > no credibility if we tell Simon et al "we're pushing these patches to
> > 8.5, but don't worry, it'll be a short release cycle".
> >

> The other options being we stall 8.4 indefinatly waiting for HS (which,
> honestly I am comfortable with), or his patches get pushed and he doesnt get
> them for another 14 months. Seems to me our credibility isn't really even a
> factor here.
>
> Right now I'm really trying to figure out how to solve this problem for the
> long term. If we say up front now that the next 2 cycles are short cycles,
> then I think people will be more willing to push patches come end-of-8.5 (and
> let's not pretend we're not going to have this same argument over streaming
> replication or synchronous replay or merge command or whatever hot feature is
> almost ready at that time)

You want the fix --- have people complete their patches long before the
last commit fest --- no matter of adjustment is going to fix that. If
they can't complete it early, fine, but don't expect we can reach some
ideal development schedule by adjusting things --- sometimes ideal just
isn't possible.

http://enterprisedb.com