Re: PGCon brand

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: PGCon brand
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Sunday 11 January 2009 15:15:43 Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Personally, I only see one real problem of brand confusion with pgCon,
> and that's pgCon.us.  I don't think that JD really wants to be confused
> with Dan, or vice-versa, so using the same name is counterproductive.
>
> Nobody is going to think that pgCon.BR has anything to do with Dan
> Langille, but if East started being called pgCon.US East it could cause
> some serious confusion for sponsors, attendees and speakers.  So I think
> it benefits *both* conferences to use distinctively different names.

I agree, though I've always wondered if a better solution would be for Dan to
rename his conference as PGCan (which is a play on BSDCan, his other
conference, and would provide even more brand identity).  Even before there
was a pgcon.us, people confused pgcon and postgresqlconference, because pgcon
is the "natural" shortnening of the longer name.  If Dan did make that
switch, pgcon.org could be a generic site for any/all postgres conferences,
and pgcan.org could be the conference specific site. I'd guess with apache
rewrite magic, we might be able to keep url breakage to a minimum.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net