Re: ISN patch that applies cleanly with git apply

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ISN patch that applies cleanly with git apply
Дата
Re: ISN patch that applies cleanly with git apply  (Peter Geoghegan <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com> writes:
>> I may be in the minority here, but I'm inclined to just apply this and
>> move on. �I agree with your concerns that this whole module is badly
>> designed and that the approach of hard-coding the list of ISBN ranges
>> is fundamentally unscalable, but unless we're going to rip it out or
>> rearchitect it, we don't really get any benefit out of digging in our
>> heels and refusing to apply occasional band-aids.

> I don't think you'll be in the minority. I suspect that we'll end up
> applying this patch, because your reasoning is sound.

Personally I was hoping for some independent validation that the
proposed changes match current reality in ISN-land.  But apparently
no one actually wants to repeat the research, so we might as well just
take the changes on faith.

>> 2. Don't try to validate the list of ISBN ranges at all.

> Actually, we just use the range information to hyphenate ISBNs...they
> won't actually be rejected unless they have an invalid check digit,
> or, in the case of ISBN-13s, if their country codes (first 3 digits)
> aren't "bookland", either 978 or 979. Perhaps the problem of new
> ranges being introduced over time isn't all that much of a problem.

Yeah, in the real world this is not all that important.

> Could this patch be backported as a bug fix?

This isn't a bug fix in my opinion.  It's a behavioral change, and one
with nonzero risk of breaking apps that might not expect the new
hyphenation.

> It adds the new bookland
> country code of 979. Prior versions of the patch will outright reject
> these correct ISBN-13s, so I think that is a good idea.

Hm, maybe just the addition of 979 is ok to back-port.  Comments?