Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 06:45:17PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > How can I programmatically detect which encoding a
> > PostgreSQL server I am trying to connect to sends back
> > messages -- before I connect (so client_encoding and
> > the pg_settings table are flat out).
>
> Hmm, isn't client_encoding reported in the startup packet sent by the
> server, after auth?

That would not quite be enough -- I am talking about
messages reported *during* auth, say

    FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

or

    fe_sendauth: no password supplied

both of which, in other locales, may contain non-ASCII characters.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346