Re: Other queries locked out during long insert

От Joshua J. Kugler
Тема Re: Other queries locked out during long insert
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Peter Eisentraut said something like:
> Because the TRUNCATE commands are taking out an exclusive lock on the
> tables.
>
> > My understanding of MVCC is that I should be able to query against
> > those tables while these insert loops are in their transaction.
>
> You get the MVCC behavior if you use DELETE instead of TRUNCATE.
> TRUNCATE is specifically designed for better speed and less
> concurrency.  It's your choice.

OK, that makes sense.  There was nothing on the TRUNCATE page to suggest
that TRUNCATE would lock the tables.  Maybe an addition to the
documentation is in order?  Where do I go to suggest that?

Thanks again!

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com