Re: benchmarking the query planner

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: benchmarking the query planner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
> >> On the whole I think we have some evidence here to say that upping the
> >> default value of default_stats_target to 100 wouldn't be out of line,
> >> but 1000 definitely is.  Comments?
>
> > Do you think there's any value in making it scale based on the size of
> > the table?
>
> As far as the MCVs go, I think we already have a decent heuristic for
> determining the actual length of the array, based on discarding values
> that have too small an estimated frequency --- look into
> compute_scalar_stats.  I don't see that explicitly considering table
> size would improve that.  It might be worth limiting the size of the
> histogram, as opposed to the MCV list, for smaller tables.  But that's
> not relevant to the speed of eqjoinsel, and AFAIK there aren't any
> estimators that are O(N^2) in the histogram length.
> (ineq_histogram_selectivity is actually O(log N), so it hardly cares at
> all.)

Why is selfuncs.c::var_eq_const() doing a linear scan over the MCV array
instead of having the list sorted and doing a binary search on the
array?  We already do this for histogram lookups, as you mentioned.
Does it not matter?  It didn't for ten values but might for larger
distinct lists.

> > Otherwise, I am a bit concerned that 10 -> 100 may be too big a jump
> > for one release, especially since it may cause the statistics to get
> > toasted in some cases, which comes with a significant performance hit.
> >  I would raise it to 30 or 50 and plan to consider raising it further
> > down the road.  (I realize I just made about a million enemies with
> > that suggestion.)
>
> There's something in what you say, but consider that we have pretty
> much unanimous agreement that 10 is too small.  I think we should
> try to fix the problem, not just gradually ratchet up the value until
> people start complaining in the other direction.  (Also, we should have
> plenty of opportunity during beta to find out if we went too far.)

I am excited we are addresssing the low default statistics target value.

http://enterprisedb.com