Re: Quick patch: Display sequence owner

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Quick patch: Display sequence owner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 09 December 2008 15:49:17 Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Josh Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 09:32 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > I think the place that such information could most naturally be
> > > squeezed into psql's \d commands would be to add another type of footer
> > > information to \dt, eg
> > >
> > >         Table "foo.bar"
> > >         "bari" ...
> > >     Owned sequences:
> > >         "baz" owned by col1
> >
> > That makes more sense, though isn't that a little repetitive when
> > "default nextval(...)" is visible immediately above it?
>
> I don't think that it is all that repetitive.  It's not uncommon to see
> people creating sequences and assigning to default values, without
> setting the OWNED BY bits.  It's good that this information is very
> visible.  It's only a couple more lines in the common case anyway (if
> you want to save half of that overhead, make it a single line when
> there's a single sequence.)

It feels like noise to me; showing indexes/triggers/constraints affect how you
interact with a table, but whether a sequence is owned or not doesn't make a
significant difference.  Given we don't list other dependencies
(views/functions/etc...) I'm not excited about adding this one.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net