Re: restored over postgres database

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: restored over postgres database
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Kevin Duffy <KD@wrinvestments.com> wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > On a newly installed PostgreSQL server I made the mistake of restoring over
> > the postgres database.
> >
> > Which I made me feel very silly and brought up a couple of questions.
> >
> > a)       What is the postgres database used for?
>
> By default, nothing usually.  Whatever you're using it for is usually it.

If he's talking about the _database_ called postgres, it's in the cluster
to provide an unused database that applications can connection to by
default.

> > b)       How can I restore the postgres database to a pristine state?
>
> shut down postgres
> delete everything in the $PGDATA directory (or whatever comes after -D
> when it starts up)
> run initdb
> start postgres
>
> All should now be clean and fresh.

Assuming he meant the entire cluster and not just the postgres database.

If the latter, a DROP/CREATE will return it to the normal state.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com